Man’s Best Friend

Madeleine - Los Angeles, California

Maddy Scott

I believe in the unbreakable bond between a human and a canine. The loyalty and love from man’s best friend. I believe in the trust we gain from true friendships with Fido. I once read a bumper sticker: Help me be the person my dog thinks I am. It stuck in my mind and warms my heart every time I think of it. I love my dog.

A dog is a personality that no human can ever embody. Their rambunctious glee can fill a room with joy while we humans can only wish we lived such carefree lives. There is nothing more fulfilling than coming home from a long day to be greeted by a barking, furry ball of excitement. It’s as if their whole day was depressing up until that single moment when they hear our anxiously awaited footsteps. That’s love.

If I’m having a bad day, my dog is always there to cheer me up. Their carefree oblivion always calms me when I am stressed. Growing up my whole life with a canine companion, I grew to love the wet feeling of a warm slobbery tongue caressing my face in the morning–my daily wakeup call. I love the heightened rhythm to their panting when they play tug of war and the way they thump their tails in anticipation of kibbles. The way they become pulse-racing excited when they see their leash being pulled out for a walk. Their innocent eyes are always too hard to stay mad at, even when you find your favorite leather boots transformed into chew toys.

More importantly, I love their loyalty. They exemplify everything I aspire to be: Trustworthy, accepting, and devoted. Unlike humans, they view us through non judgmental eyes and regardless of our flaws, accept us anyway. To them, we can do no wrong. The feeling I get knowing my dog will always love me is immeasurable. Their never ending spirit provides happiness and excitement to those surrounding. My dog has taught me the meaning of devotion.

So let your dog sleep on the bed. Let him roll in the grass. Scratch his belly often. Confide in him. Just because he cannot speak, does not mean he does not listen. Our words are safe with them and that is what makes the friendships we form golden. I believe that we must cherish the moments we spend with those who love us most–our dogs. (408)