Waste Not? Then, Want Not and Peace Will be Found!

Rachel - Hamilton, Montana

Ever wondered why is there so much garbage? Instead of speculating how it happened, I decided that I will no longer be a contributor. It comes down to a basic question. “What do I really need to be happy and live at peace with myself and my role in this world?”

I have decided that finding peace is a constant journey. It is a winding maze through thick green bushes and every once in awhile I’ll materialize into a large, spacious perennial flower garden filled with sweet aromas and colors of every shade. That feeling that everything is going to be just fine and I couldn’t possibly need anything else. Most of the time they are fleeting, but they exist. My first garden appeared the moment a dark-headed miracle came into my arms 11 years ago, and I looked at her perfect complexion, her 10 finger and 10 toes, and felt her soft skin and knew right then and there that life couldn’t get much better. It was peace. I’ve been lucky to have that feeling 2 more times. However, it was short lived and the maze continued as I wound my way through it.

Recently, my flower bed in this web of life has been the role of waste. I’m not just talking about garbage tossed out each second in households across the globe. I am talking about overall rubbish. What do I need versus what do I want? Basic needs opposed to a never-ending wish list. I am sure it has been a combination of events in my life that have helped me come to this conclusion. Currently, there is more concentration on environmental issues and our economic crisis. These have hit home with my family, and we’ve made a conscious effort to do what we can to recycle, reuse, and reduce. Like most Americans, we have felt the economic crunch as prices continue to climb. Money is tight and we ask basic survival questions. “What am I going to do to keep our house, our car, and put food on the table?” My conclusion you ask? I need to stop being a contributor to this constant wasteful society.

Ultimately, I found myself in the largest flower garden of my maze. This new peaceful feeling has derived from the lack of wanting anything. And, in the end, I know that I will not be contributing to the mounds of refuse caused by the outdated “latest and greatest” items on the consumer scene. I have decided that there has to be more to life than wanting this and acquiring that. Instead, I’ve reduced what I “need” in my life. I reuse what has been given to me and my family. I recycle all that I can. I think a garden full of fragrant and eye appealing blossoms amidst the infinite labyrinth of life is within everyone’s grasp. It just takes life changes and life changing moments.