justin - Marina del rey, California
Themes: work

I believe in obstacles- obstacles that are tough, that make me frustrated. By obstacles, I mean the kind that make you feel like you’re trying so hard to drive somewhere but you have a million cars in your way. In the end obstacles can make goals seem a lot more worth while.

One of the toughest obstacles in my life started about two months ago. My best friend and I were planning a once in a life time trip to Tahiti. We only had one problem: money. We had to come yup with $1800 each to make it happen. Since we both don’t have rich parents that can pay for our tickets we had to work a lot. We didn’t have jobs, or allowance every week. That’s when it started; we both got jobs making $40 every Saturday. Every Saturday we went to Aqua Tech surfboard repair and expected a long, tough day of work. I didn’t like working; I didn’t like having the responsibilities- to be at work on time- and work long hours. Most of all I didn’t like watching my friends being able to surf all day and go where ever they wanted whenever they wanted.

We had to work for four months to just barely make it. We would work every Saturday at surf factory cleaning, fixing and shaping surfboards. The job would start at ten in the morning and would end at three. At twelve we would go on a lunch break to the nearest Mexican food truck. Every day that we put money in the piggy bank felt like another day we overcame an obstacle. Four months had gone by and we were at $1700. While I was working all I could think of was the beautiful beaches and the amazing waves. I couldn’t wait for the freedom of having no parents and no brothers or sisters. Our parents had seen what we had done and felt the pain we had felt. I remember my mom telling me “never give up”, so I didn’t, I kept working. Finally we had overcome that tough obstacle.

I believe that obstacles that can make your goals or result a lot more worth while are the best ones. Putting your mind to something and trying no matter what’s comes in front of you is how you overcome and obstacle. Even with a million cars in front of me there’s always that time to enjoy the radio, knowing that you’re that much closer to home.