Drop it

sami - los angeles, California
Themes: forgiveness

Drop it

Just drop it. For the last couple of years, dropping it has become my most prolific philosophy. Dropping it, for me means forgetting about my problems and not letting them drag me down. Now, this does not mean that I do not learn from my experiences; I take what wisdom I can from them before letting them fall from my shoulders

As an up and coming young adult, I have been eligible to obtain a drivers license for about six months. I financed the license by paying for driving lessons, drivers Ed, and various DMV charges with money that I had saved from countless holidays and birthdays. Unfortunately having a drivers license is not the same as being eligible.

Earlier in the year before committing my time and money to the obstacles of obtaining this license, I negotiated with my parents and set down some terms. If I took care of my lessons, my parents would pay for the insurance and take care of any other requirements that I might need in order receive my license. Unfortunately, when the time came my parents did not hold up to their end of the deal. The insurance was affordable, and nothing too hectic had occurred – they simply forgot. I took care of my end of the deal, but my parents did not.

The incident of the drivers license is one incidence in many in which I have been disappointed in myself, my parents, or other people. Many times, I am so upset and put off by the disappointments that I neglect my schoolwork and extra curricular activities. Luckily, I have long since learned that sometimes the best thing to do is to simply drop my problem.

I believe in dropping it. Sometimes issues become such a heavy load that the only thing to do with them is to drop them and leave them where they lie. For me this belief came in handy when I was preoccupied with my drivers license. I became so upset with my parents that every stray thought that I had was about my license, leaving almost no room for my schoolwork and extracurricular activities. It was at that point that I realized that holding on to my grudge would have a more negative effect on me than a positive one. It was a point at which my disappointment ceased to drive me, and rather began to enmesh me in its sticky remains.

The “dropping it” philosophy is what helps me move through my life. If I held on to every disappointment, every act that I felt was an injustice, and every instance in which another person bested me, I would be a very sorry excuse of a person. I believe that the weight of the past should remain in the past, and that people – just like runners – can only run their fastest when they are unburdened by the weight of prior disappointments. I believe that everyone has something to drop.