Stand Out

Tori - Oakland, California

Standing out has helped my life sense I was a little. I’ve been trying to be myself in my own way, but it really turns out that I was really acting differently from everyone else like I notice that I wasn’t acting like any one in my family, any one that I new. The older I became the more I’ve notice the way that I stood out to the people in my schools classes.

I remember the time when I was little that I always hated to be different from everyone else. I wanted to fit in with the kids in class and at my auntie’s day care, they weren’t just kids of her friends, but they were also my cousins too that I was becoming different from. Each day I notice a difference between me and them, even though I thought that I being different was a bad thing. I always was happy to have my parents support but when my parents got a divorce I shockingly felt even more different. Me and my mom moved out to my grandfathers house, we currently live in right now , when me and my mom was at my grandpas house I learned that my mom was a divorced child leaving my mom in the same situation that I was in. I started to change my thoughts about me being different in the world but then finding that out I realized I’m not the only one in that’s parents are divorced and that made me feel special , but that’s when I started to feel different. I first was ignoring the fact that something was wrong over the years of me being in the first, second, third and, forth grade but then I realized that I was becoming just like everyone else in my class but then I started to feel like I was becoming a little to much normal, but that feeling that I had made me think why was I being different and acting like something that I’m not suppose to be.

The older that became I became happier because I was different from the people around me .Sure I’m not a normal teenager like every one else but really what is normal? I know normal is being yourself and that means . I’ve notice that I’m happier with being myself than acting like others, I believe we need to be our selves and have a shoulder to lean on.

I am different and I know that, but this song that reminds me to be different:

To stand Out above the crowd

Even if I gotta shout out loud

Tonight is the only place to be

I’m gonna Stand Out

Till You Notice Me,

That song is a favorite of mine from the first Walt Disney production of “THE GOOFY MOVIE” (R.I.P Walt Disney).The lyrics are really love able and they speak a lot about being yourself to anyone and everyone and don’t change yourself for anyone not even yourself its also speaking about yourself no matter what. I believe in just being you.