Higher Education

michael - San Diego, California

For as long as I can remember I have been educated. Education is at the core of our society and I believe it valuable when it comes to having a successful career.

It started when I was young. It started with letters and numbers. Then words. Reading, writing, simple math and so on. Education is a part of our lives from an early age. We move from elementary school to middle school and on up to high school learning all about various things. Math, history, writing, science, and geography are just some of the basics taught to us for 10 years. I presumed this was the foundation for all my future classes and that college would be where I learned all the stuff relevant to my major.

I remember my last days of high school. I remember thinking how great it was to be done with all the random information I had learned from my kindergarten thorough 12th grade days. I was excited with the idea of college and getting to finally learn the things I had wanted to learn about since I was 8 years old.

College was the preparation for my desired field, criminal justice. The first few years were spent learning criminal theories and terminology. Some basic stuff dealing with all aspects of the criminal justice system. Stuff ranging from policing to our court system all the way on up to our correction system. All of this with the focus on my particular major. All of it strengthening my specific knowledge that will help me be better equipped to do an effective job within the world of criminal justice. Well, that’s what I had hoped it would be. Unfortunately that isn’t how college started. Not for me, not for anyone. Today’s higher education starts with relaying the foundation already present.

For most students this new foundation means a year or two of general education classes teaching us all of the things we thought we learned in high school. Most people have heard excuses as to why general education classes exist. Whether it be that they are only helping those unsure of what they want to do or perhaps they are weeding out the ones who don’t really want to be there. Regardless of what reasons are given they do exist for the moment.

I believe that college should not just add on to the random information where high school left off but should instead focus more specifically on the individuals goals which will help lead them to a better career.