Inner Joy Findings

Mia - Santa Monica,CA, 90404, California
Themes: pleasure

Joy is a connection to the wonders of life, and life is just that: wonder. I believe in the simplicity of inner-joy. The tricky thing about happiness is finding it, and looking for it in the right places. The greatest joys in life can be found in appreciation for music, long walks, art, food, air etc. I believe it is important to look to the simple things in life for joy and not get caught up in trying to find it in distant, and very complicated places.

It is important that we realize what motives we have for our actions, and with that, proceed. I always think of how much time and energy I could save if I did things for that priceless inner joy, rather than trying to prove something to someone, or fill that ever lingering void. Through some harsh personal experiences I have come to the realization that voids aren’t filled with physical substances. For that matter voids aren’t even filled by any outside source-just us. The temporary feelings that go along with “void-fillers” are not worth the sudden “low” once the “high” has had its time.

Only through some difficult experiences of a close friend would I ever feel confident in this idea, for it is so easy to feel joy from outside sources for example, getting a new puppy, seeing and old friend, or getting that grade that was worked so hard for. All these things bring joy of course, but it’s that kind of temporary joy that needs to be replaced with something new once it fades away. My friend tried to fill his voids in all the wrong ways, whether it be violence, girls, or drugs, but mostly drugs. By age 14 he had been addicted to cocaine and had tried any drug from A to Z. He only fell deeper into the misery he was trying to avoid and push out of his life. He would disappear and then be found without recollection of his name. He would attempt suicide and completely shun anyone who actually cared out of his life. He would only keep falling. What I took from this was that joy does not come in some package of anything. It’s really only in ourselves, and I believe in looking for it with the mindset of simplicity. It will be there.

I believe in finding joy in the little things, and using the simplicity of those moments to really “suck the marrow out of life”. I believe in the simplicity of inner joy.