Music

Jason - Santa Monica, California

I believe in music. I believe in its power to heal and justify people. I believe that without music we are ordinary and without learning the beauty of music, we are dead. Ever since I was an infant, I have been nurtured with music. Dating back to the days of random poundings on the keyboard was when music leeched onto me. While these “poundings” were nothing more than mere noises, it was first lesson and taste of music. The lesson I learned was that music doesn’t need to be divine and true, but rather fun and passionate. Music is rather an expression of ones emotions rather than a systematic approach. Whether it is played by a musical protégé or rather an infant like me, it’s all music no matter who‘s the musician.

For me, music is my passion, my soul, my world. A world without music would be like a world without color, very banal. I believe that music is another tool that creates individuality. If everyone made the same pitches, how could we tell each other apart? Music helps me discover the type of person I am. While people say their mood is affected by the day, my mood is affected by the song I listen to. If its some poppy alternative song, I might be bouncing off the walls, while if its something dark, I’ll be gloomy for the time being. I believe that music has the power to lift the soul. For me, I have found that music is stronger than any medicine. Much like how doctors say most of our troubles are in our heads, I believe that music is the medication to our problems.

Music, a combination of just 8 simple notes contains the complexity to drive the human soul. It works in ways that can mirror the work of god. Artist like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart and Chopin are recognized as musical geniuses and the fathers of music however, to create music, one doesn’t need to be a genius. The definition music is only a harmonization of certain pitches. By that definition, every sound is considered music. Nature is full of music, music that creates life. There is known to be a certain species of birds that uses music to attract its mate. For me, music is my mate. I create rhythm and harmonies that attract “music” and in tandem we work together creating what some might call a “masterpiece”. Music is my passion, my joy, and my life. Music is my belief.