I Believe In Painting…

Erica - Inglewood, California
Themes: creativity, peace

I believe in painting. The natural strokes from an artists hand as the brush moves across the canvas creating an image like none other. I believe in the work that brings a stressed mind into a world of calm and peace. I believe in the power that such images that are created can bring to the world. I believe in painting.

After a stressful day, or perhaps simply a normal day, I carry out my supplies to my front yard. I paint my porch, or the house in front, no matter what I paint, it brings peace to mind. I sit and grab the brush, thinking about a painting I had seen before. Paintings are one of the objects that grab my attention, I can stand still for a very long time just observing one; looking at the style, bringing in the picture, analyzing the purpose, and all the other images hidden inside.

In my room I place all my paintings on my wall trying to make it look like a gallery or a collage. I paint anything that catches my eye, from the common can to a large pond. Painting may seem like a difficult hobby, but for those that have patience it come easily. Patience is practiced while mixing colors, trying to get them just right to place on the canvas. I paint just about everything, I like to keep my ideas open. Painting gives me confidence, with every completed image, my confidence expands. I remind myself that I have a voice, a voice through my art. It is the way I express myself. Just like a picture says a million words, a painting does too.

You may not know what to paint, but what I do is listen to a song and let my hand move freely to the rhythm. I let my hand and thoughts carry me away, letting my unconscious mind create an image. Paintings isn’t just about being able to paint, it’s about the way one uses the method to express their feelings and ideas. An image that you create is one that someone else can connect to; many carry the same feelings as you and may be appreciative of the fact that someone created and image to symbolize it.

Paint is an item we can all use, toddlers as young as four years old to elders can create an image they can truly be proud of. Art is something we can all appreciate, it comes from inside, it comes from our creativity. A painting can be as beautiful as a peacocks tail, all the colors catching a passerby’s eyes. It can be for a project, your own peace, or simply something to hang on a wall of your living room to give it a nice touch.

I believe in painting. I believe in the individuality it can bring.