Soccer. The man’s sport

John - New City, New York
Themes: sports

John Yi

I believe that soccer is not just a sport. To me, soccer is a passion, a hobby, and a past time. I play whenever I get a chance. I play with my family, or friends, or sometimes by myself. I don’t think that anyone is born amazing at soccer. I believe that soccer is something that you practice. And the more you practice, the better you get at it. It doesn’t matter where you play. You can play with trash cans as the goal post and still be better than someone who practices on a professional field.

Some people think soccer is boring, that it is just twenty-two players on the field, passing the ball around. But I think it’s the most exciting sport in the world. From the beautiful upper 90’s, from 20 yards away, to the breakaways, where it’s one on one: the keeper and the striker. The excitement could kill. Everyone knows the word no matter what language: from goal to gól, we all know. The matches the teams play are important, but practice is where you learn. You practice your tricks, shooting, passing, and diving. Then you put them to the test at the game. It’s when you do that first trick to a player on the other team that makes everyone say, “This is gonna be a great game.”

Soccer is not all about scoring goals. It’s about making great plays and communicating with your teammates. It’s also about getting to know how your opponents play. That is the key to winning the game. Soccer is a hard game to understand. You need to know where to pass the ball and how to pass it. Even when your team mate doesn’t say anything, you need to read the play and figure it out. It’s the same thing with scoring. Soccer is a very fast paced game and you don’t have much time to think about where to place it. At the moment you may just want to blast it, but you have to think about it and aim so the keeper can’t get it. This is what separates the average player and the pros.

The U.S. has the equipment to train, but they need the spirit and passion like some of the other countries. They need to communicate well and play as a team. I believe that soccer is one sport you play with complete strangers. You go around and ask people if they want to join in and play. Then you make teams, whether it’s one on one, to eleven on eleven. Soccer is a world wide sport and each country plays to win. During the world cup, I see countries compete. They are playing hard with passion in their eyes. I don’t think there is any other way to play.