Faith Statement

Kati - Columbus, Ohio

Whenever I tell people that I am a Unitarian Universalist, everyone wants to know what I believe. Sometimes I will struggle to come up with an answer and sometimes the words will roll right off my tongue. I think that this is due to the fact that I am a very open-minded person. I consider everything that others say to me and sometimes that changes my beliefs.

For most of the past year, I had no clue what I believed. One of my managers where I work tried to convince me that there is a God; he made some excellent arguments, which made me question my previous staunch atheism. Now I’m not sure whether or not God exists and I believe that for now there is no way to tell. I think that it is quite possible that there is a higher power, but that it is just as likely that there is not. In my opinion, if there is a God, God will not be the sort of vengeful person most people make him or her out to be. If God does exist, he or she will accept people for who they are no matter what their religion, race, sexual identity, or beliefs may be.

I believe that there is no afterlife and that when we die our bodies will decompose and feed the plants and animals, and in that way we will live on forever in the cycle of nature. Because of that, when I die I want to be buried without a coffin underneath the seed of a tree so that I can live on forever in that tree. When I say that, I don’t mean that I will be the tree, but just that I will nourish the tree and give it life.

I believe very strongly in the Unitarian Universalist principles. I believe that the best things you can do in life are to be happy and to try to make others happy as well. I believe in truth and justice for everyone, and in doing my part to make the world a better place. I believe in living life to its fullest. I do that by making a list of goals to achieve before I die. I currently have 303 goals and I have completed 44 of them. I’d like to share a few of them:

1. Learn to speak 5 languages

21. Go skydiving

87. Get dreadlocks

178. Eat an orange

192. Be a teacher in a third world country

242. Write my credo

278. Be someone’s hero

I believe in community and surrounding myself with those that care for me and support me. I also believe in helping to support others as much as possible. I believe in the study of other’s beliefs and the acceptance of those beliefs. I believe in nature in all its beauty. I believe in the thoughts expressed in Desiderata. I also believe in the wisdom of the speech Everybody is free. I believe that you can be spiritual without having to believe in God and I believe that you can have faith in anything you choose to have faith in.

I also believe in lots of small things, like that dandelions are the most beautiful flowers in the world, or that rain is the best kind of weather. I believe in having faith in the good side of people and of not judging others. I believe in peace and in being yourself, no matter who is watching.

In the past, when my beliefs have changed, or I was unsure of what I believed, I got upset or worried, because I thought my beliefs always had to stay the same. While out on my vision quest, I realize how untrue that is. I learned that there is only one thing in life that is constant, and that is change. Everything will always be changing, whether you want it to or not. The only thing you can do is choose to accept it and be happy. My beliefs will always be changing and that change is a beautiful thing.