Just belive

Deneen - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Deneen Friend

June 17, 2008 904

Ms. Sulayman-L&C

Just Believe

Many people assume that my belief should be based on religion. The smart bunch of us knows that’s not true. The belief that guides my daily life is to always be true to myself as well as others. On account of this belief, I get the opportunity to show people who I am as a person.

Let’s examine one dance recital solo. My dance company was having our annual recital in August, and there was a solo dancer needed for the part of snow white. After a few months of practice and auditions, me and my friend Granola were the last two competing for the part. As we came to the week of our last Snow White auditions, my dance mentor made me aware that our head administrators admired Granola’s attitude. As soon as I found this out, I began to lose self-confidence. Every time she danced she seemed so perfect, like a beautiful swan, just like a dancer should be. Not to mention her dainty height and weight. As the end of the week neared, the more intimidated I became. When we would rehearse, I would stand behind the curtain and watch in amazement as she made the curviest pencil turns and smoothest landings. She was every instructors dream, and every dancer’s nightmare.

The next day when I came to class, it was time for my solo audition. I was so nervous that the sweat was sliding down my hands and dripping slowly on the floor. The music began and my foot lifted off the ground ever so gently. My heart was racing a thousand miles per hour, and the words “you can do it” just repeated through my head. I tried to remember all of the rules and tricks to dancing. For example, when we spin, we can’t close our eyes, so we’re suppose to keep our eyes on one specific thing. Also, don’t make too much eye contact with the audience, unless it’s a jazz, tap, intense or hip hop dance. I had to stay true to myself, no matter what the rumors were. When the music ended, I felt proud of myself. My foot tapped the exact spot it had first left, and my arm swept the sky very sweetly.

After exactly two months and three weeks of hard Snow White labor, I got the part! Two days before our recital, when my instructor made the decision, she explained that she admired my personal attitude. She mentioned that I didn’t let the negative vibes of everyone else get in the way of me succeeding what I wanted.

My everyday belief is to always stay true to myself, no matter what. Even though some people didn’t believe in me, I believed in myself, and that’s all that matters. Now my confidence is where it’s supposed to be at.