shaniiah - philadelphia, Pennsylvania

People make mistakes all the time. I believe that everyone learns from his or her mistakes. On account of this belief, I try to make my punishments a learning experience for me. Knowing that some choices I make are wrong helps me become a better person.

Being a teen in this world for me meant being cool. New Year’s Eve definitely proves my point. Everyone knows that it is the holiday where kids think it’s okay to drink. I got so wasted that I passed out. My mother had to get my cousin to carry me home. That next day was the worst. All day I had to hear people say, “I’m so disappointed in you.” That night made me learn that drinking is not cool and it can be very dangerous.

When my mom first put me on punishment I thought that I was going to die. I had never been on lock down for that long in my life. But now I see that she did it to help me learn from what I had done. I don’t plan to ever drink in my life. I could never imagine something like that happening again. Next time could be fatal.

Learning a lesson from drinking makes me believe that everyone can learn from any mistake. I could’ve died from alcohol poisoning. I know how it feels to loose someone and I wouldn’t want to put my family through that pain again.

The reason that I chose to change is because I don’t feel comfortable knowing that I put my mother through anguish with my dumb mistakes. When I’m in freshmen year seminar watching all those teens drinking and passing out I think that could have been me. I don’t want for my mom to have to identify my lifeless body. Clearly, my mother’s feelings are in mind when making my decisions.

I believe that everyone learns from their mistakes. My biggest mistake was letting my friends talk me into drinking. The only reason I passed out was because my body wasn’t used to ingesting alcohol at all. When people make terrible mistakes, most likely they will come back to bit them in the butt. I see all the children dying from alcohol poisoning and drunk driving and think that could never be me. I learned that out the hard way. Now, I live my life to its fullest potential.