who and How She Became My Hero

Brandin - Vancouver, Washington

I define a hero as a person that has beaten the odds, someone that’s taken life’s challenges and fought back. My hero is my mom, because of the events and challenges that have changed our lives. Her challenge started one Friday afternoon in February, 2005. As she arrived, for a work appointment and was getting out of the car she dropped her keys. Bending over and trying to pick them up was almost impossible. Why was this happening, was it caused by her lower back pain? No! After her work appointment, she tried to use her cell phone, but was unable to push the buttons. Later that afternoon, she was feeling funny, came home and went to bed. This could have been the biggest mistake my mom made in her life. Saturday morning, I walked into my parent’s bedroom and my mom asked, “Who you are?” I went and got my dad. She kept saying her back hurt and was having problems with her balance. She slept most of that day. Sunday, morning my dad said, there must be something else wrong. My dad and I, took my mom to the emergency room. The doctor allowed me to help to lift my spirits. I was able to listen to her heart and put the oxygen gauge on her finger. Then they took my mom way for an MRI. A short time later a doctor came in, he wanted to talk to my dad. I looked out the door; my dad was standing next to a computer. I thought, the doctor told him that my mom was going to die. They actually told him, my mom had a brain tumor. When my dad returned the next morning, they told him my mom had a stroke, not a brain tumor. My mom was only 38 years old. She had many problems to overcome. Not being able to count, not knowing where she was and unable to pick her own clothes out of the closet, because it was too overwhelming. She was determined not to let this beat her. She would always tell me not to worry, with my help she would get better. My dad would drive around with her and ask her questions “What’s that license plates say?” “What’s that sign say?” She went to several different therapies, speech, occupational and physical. She still struggles with migraines and a few minor problems, but if you were to meet my mom you would never know she’s had a stroke. I am very fortunate to have my mom with me today. That’s why my mom’s my hero; she fought back for me and won. I believe that putting your heart and mind to the circumstance, you can overcome the problem.