A Small Jar of Soap

Lily - Marina del Rey, California

A Small Jar Of Soap

I believe in bubbles. I believe in the magic and the childhood memories that they bring. Bubbles bring happiness to any child or adult who blows into that small plastic wand. They also bring happiness to the parent who sees their child’s eyes filled with wonderment and glee every time they see a bubble floating in the air. Bubbles are small and delicate, and can be found at any 99 cents store. They are worth so much more however, when they bring magic to anyone who sees them.

When I was younger, like most children, I loved blowing bubbles. I loved to blow them then try to catch them in my hand, or pop them in mid air, or catch them on my nose. I used to blow them with anyone who would be willing. I did it with my friends, my mother and my father. We would blow them off balconies and create a snow fall of bubbles. When the wind would blow them all over the place, I would see the confusion on peoples faces when they would wonder where they came from. Once they saw them, children would instantly start to play with them, and adults would pop them in remembrance of their childhood.

I would blow bubbles with me dad most of the time, because he would be the most patient with me, playing with me while I blew bubbles for hours. My dad would often look at me with loving eyes and say how wonderful it was to see his child filled with such happiness, to see them filled with such joy. I never truly understood what he meant until I saw the same thing in my young niece’s eyes. She has the same wonderment every time she blows into that same small plastic wand. Her eyes fill with joy and happiness when ever she manages to blow a bubble the size of a softball.

Bubbles do not only bring glee to children all over the world, they also bring glee to adults. Bubbles remind them of their childhood, when everything used fascinate them and they where not afraid to ask a million questions. They remind of them of a time when life was less complicated, and a small jar of soap could fill the whole day with fun. Even for just a second, one small bubble could remind them of all this, and bring out the child in them that has been hiding for years. It allows them to step out of the hectic and super fast adult world, and step into the colorful and simple world of the child.

Bubbles have the ability to reflect the world and not be broken by it. They can take in all its faults and not pop. These small spheres of soap have the strength to not crack under the pressure that they world puts on all its inhabitants, yet are fragile enough to be popped by a child’s finger.

I believe in bubbles.