I Believe in Music

Andrew - Santa Monica, California

I Believe In Music

I believe in music. I believe in all types of music; whether its rap, rock, classical, r & b, or even just wind blowing through the trees. I believe in its power. In its ability to tell who, what, where, when, why, and how. Certain kinds of music can even pinpoint a time in history and remind us of what happened then. Early jazz music can be traced back to its origin in Harlem, New York, where a group of African Americans started an evolution of music like no other. When the Star Spangled Banner is played, it reminds people of how great America is and of all the good and bad things that happened here to be like what it is today. I believe in music.

Music is expression.

Through music, people express their deepest thoughts and emotions. Musicians tell stories about their lives, important events happening in the world, and many other ideas. Some rap songs tell stories about how hard it was for the artist to grow up in their neighborhood. Even an opera has the ability to tell a love story of two love-struck people. Musicians don’t even have to say a single word to communicate and connect with their listeners. They can speak to their listeners with a single D note or a bang on a bass drum. Music is a continuous outlet for people to share their emotions and ideas to the world. “Music expresses feeling and thought, without language; it was below and before speech, and it is above and beyond all words.” (–Robert G. Ingersoll) I believe in music.

Music is endless.

I believe in being woken up in the morning by an orchestra of wind chimes playing outside my bedroom window with the morning breeze; or being serenaded to sleep by the grasshoppers fiddling in the moonlight. In classrooms, at the beach, in forests, or in a traffic jam, music is loud and endless. Music can be a one- hundred person orchestra playing Beethoven’s 5th Symphony, or a street performer on the 3rd street promenade banging on pots and pans. Music is everywhere and in everyone, whether they embrace it or not. I believe in music. To believe in music you don’t always have to be playing it or making it. A dancer believes in music. A kid believes in music, and even your average Joe believes in music and the feeling of music. Music is endless. I believe in music.