Sometimes Life Gives You A Second Chance

Julia - Marlborough, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

Reading Writing Workshop Julia Carney

“This I believe” June 10, 2008

When I was little I thought that only old people could die, and that you couldn’t die if you were young. As I reflect I have witnessed events happening to friends and family that have changed my life. I realize that sometimes young people die and other times life gives them a second chance.

It was the end of the summer two years ago. I had just returned from a vacation on Cape Cod with my family. My mom told me that my best friend, Tam Vuong, family had been in a horrible car accident on their way home from Georgia. They were driving through South Carolina when her family’s car spun out of control. Tam was one of six girls in her family, but on that day she became one of five. Her sister wasn’t wearing her seatbelt and was launched from the car windshield. Her father was also injured. I can still remember that day driving home; I saw many people at Tam’s house, but I assumed it was a family party, I couldn’t believe what my mom had told me. A week before school started her dad was still in critical condition, and he later passed away. I couldn’t understand how this giving family could lose two wonderful people.

Looking back on that experience I realize that my best friend and her family members were given a great gift. They could recover and live their lives. Life had given them a second chance. Everyone remembers Tam’s sister and dad in wonderful ways; they were always full of life and always smiling. Whenever I see my friend and her family I am always so thankful that they can still be with us, and that life really did give them a second chance. I believe that life really did give them a second chance because when they got into that car accident their lives could have been taken away at that moment. They still had so much more to do. Life gave them a second chance.

My family is very close. We always stay in touch, and my sister and I love hanging out with our older cousins that are in college. One summer while my family was on the Cape, my mom received a phone call, my cousin, Julie, was in a terrible accident. She was at an intersection when a drunk driver bumped her into the open road where a truck hit her car. Julie had just given birth, her son, my cousin, Dillon, who was supposed to be with her in the car that night but instead she had brought him to her parent’s house. Julie was in a coma for a long time, and the doctors thought she might not live. I remember going to the hospital and seeing her. My sister and I were speechless and couldn’t believe what happened. Thankfully, Julie woke from the coma and had a full recovery. We see her as much as we can. I believe that Julie got a second chance at life, and she can live a happy life with her son and family.

I really do believe that life sometimes gives you a second chance. Through these experiences I now understand that life gives you second chances. Through these experiences I am thankful that life has given my friend, her family, and my cousin a second chance. I have learned that life could be taken away from you, at any moment. Regardless of who you are, what your profession or path in life may take we are all invincible at any given moment on any given day.