Remembering Loved Ones

Kelsey - High Falls, New York
Themes: death, legacy

I believe that rememberng is important. Everyone has a reason to remember because they have lost a friend or loved one. Everyone has lost a friend or family member. I know that everyone deals with some one dying in different ways. I personally have lost many loved ones in my life. There are two people that I remember the most, my grandfather, and one of my closest friends.

When I was younger, there was this kid, more a teenager than anything, that I looked up to. This person was someone that looked after me all summer during camp and when I was at his girlfriend’s house, his name was Jamie Shaw. Then one Sunday morning in February of 2000, my parents told me that he was in a car accident that killed him. This devastated me for weeks. That summer when I was at camp, it wasn’t the same; it just wasn’t as fun anymore. The following June his parents and the local Babe Ruth League started a Memorial Race for him. The race was called “Zoom For Zip 5K” and it has been going on for 8 years, no matter the weather. Throughout this time I thought about what I could do to remember him besides participating in the race every year. I knew what I wanted to do was to get a tattoo for him. The hardest part was trying to figure out what I wanted; it was between his favorite cartoon character – Marvin the Martian and the number 8, because it was always the number on his baseball jerseys. I got Marvin on may back and with that there will always be the memory of him with me, as if I carried a piece of him with me always. (This year – 2008 – I was one of 5 former Babe Ruth Players who are graduating from High School this month who received a scholarship in his name.)

Now my grandfather was a great man. He was the type of person that didn’t show his affection. He loved all his family and the only person it really showed with was my grandmother and my mother. He was a Veteran of Foreign War, was a POW twice. He received the Purple Heart and a Silver Star. He was the type of person that wouldn’t answer any of my questions about the war. When I was old enough to work, my cousin and I worked for him in the summer doing landscaping. When we was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, it made me devastated because I was losing the toughest man in my life. When he died on Valentine’s Day 2007, I lost my mentor and my hero. Remembering my grandfather is easy because it seems as though he cared so much for me and I knew even though he never let it show. So this summer in his memory, I will be getting another tattoo for him.

When it comes to remembering people, I feel everyone has their own way of remembering someone. My way is by getting tattoos. The tattoo eases the pain of your loss and makes you remember then even more. I’ve lost more than these two people have in my life; it’s just that the two of them had the biggest impact on my life.