Equality

mackenzie - hudson, Massachusetts
Themes: equality

Equality

I believe that one day everyone will be looked at equally. Who knows how long it will take, but one day all races, cultures, and religions will be equal.

As of now, races stand separated, not together. They are still looked at differently. They are counted as individual groups not as one in society. I see people being separated by their classmates. They are called names and made fun of because of what they believe in or the color of their skin. Today in society we are separated because of stereotypes.

I notice this problem mostly with my mother’s side of the family. My grandmother was brought up in a catholic community with not much diversity. My mother was also. They did not experience the diversity there is today. Unfortunately, my mother does not approve of some of the friends I hang out with.

I have experienced my mother not liking the friends I am making. I have friends of all different religions and races. My mother is not mean to them, she does not hate them, she just rather me with other people. I have tried to tell my mother how I feel about the way she is acting, but nothing I say means anything to her. I hope to fix the problem with my mother and let her know that she can’t hide me from the diversity the world has.

My mother needs to see how much of an effect she has when she expresses her feelings on the diversity around us. I hate the fact that she acts like that I decides who I can be with and who I cannot be with. She is starting to lighten up on the situation because she is starting to realize how foolish her feelings are.

Hating the way my mother makes me feel when she acts like this makes me want to have children so much more. I want to have children to show my mother that they can be with others of different races or religions. I hope to see this problem disappear within all families.