My Supportive Family

Tashay - Greenville, North Carolina

Growing up in a family where few members have much formal education has made a huge impact on my life. Before 2003 there were only two people in my family with a high school diploma, and this includes my grandmother, aunts, uncles, and cousins. The reason for many of them not receiving a formal education would be because every female had been pregnant at least once between the ages of fourteen and eighteen. Along with my family not being educated they were also unsupportive of my mother and her children. They have always said that she thinks that she is better than everyone and that she tries to out-do everyone. It is for this reason that my family is my inspiration.

I have always been told by family that I would get pregnant and drop out of high school; well I proved them wrong in that aspect because I got my high school diploma. I guess they thought I would be part of a generational epidemic. I stopped the generational curse and made it my business to not lose out on receiving an education because of a child. Once it was time for college I said I wanted to go to a university. Instead of congratulating me they asked why I wasn’t considering a community college because it costs less and I would not have student loans. They also said I would not finish college and I would drop out because of pregnancy.

I have nothing to prove to them, but I will be the generational difference. I have one year left and school and I have used their negativity as my inspiration. Thus far in life I have proved them all wrong and I am doing just fine. I may have the loans that they said I would have, but I am twenty-one and I have no children. So I must thank my family because if it wasn’t for their doubt I wonder would I be in my last year of college?