I Believe

Marcelle - Hudson, Massachusetts
Themes: science

What has technology done to advance our society? What has it done that is hurting us? New technology is being introduced everyday: machines that save our lives, a computer that is five times faster, a program that writes as you dictate. In many people’s eyes, these pieces of new knowledge are helping our society go to new lengths. I see it as advancement and a hindrance. I believe that though technology is helping us discover more than we knew before, it is also hurting everyone in this world.

As a student, the computer has become a necessary aid in my education. I do research, write, and e-mail teachers about assignments if needed on the computer. Computers have changed my writing from messy to readable and my research has decreased from multiple hours with my nose in a book to one hour searching for reliable sources. In short, computers have made every school-related task easier, but there is always bad coming with the good. I have often found myself hoping that my essay was not deleted when my computer suddenly shut down. I have also had to go back and thoroughly check my sources for research papers to make sure none of the information was false. The computer has greatly helped me, but as I have come to depend on it, my work could become riddled with false information or be accidentally deleted.

There is also the constantly increasing technology of the cell phone. The cell phone was invented to aid people in traveling communication. While it has succeeded in doing so, it has brought along another group of problems. When I first got my cell phone, I didn’t want to put it down. After two years, I don’t think much has changed. Having a cell phone has vastly improved my access to rides home, but it has become a great distraction. I am often texting when I should be doing homework or chores. This is now becoming a problem for me because I am now not managing my time as well because I am distracted. Even though texting was created to make traveling communication increasingly easier, it is becoming an increasing distraction to many people who have access to texting.

Technology has become a necessity in our society. Eventually, I believe that humans will not be able to function with the use of electronics. The amount of computer and television usage is increasing, and as a result, childhood obesity becoming a problem. If I did not own a cell phone, even this essay would probably have been done sooner because I would not have been as distracted. Technology has become harmful to the world’s health, focus, and ability to save information. If our society was not as riveted on new technology we would not have to worry about the increasing distraction and harmful flaws it contains.