Hurting Your Body-This I Believe

Dory - Greenville, North Carolina

I strongly feel that you are in control of everything in your own life. Sure, some crazy diseases may hit you for no apparent reason and ruin everything, but even after that you are still able to control how you deal with it, how it is treated and so on. Based on my experiences and those of my father; I have learned that what you put your body through can have dire consequences. Alcoholism has been found to cause serious damage to your mind and body, including, cirrhosis of the liver, many different cancers, cardiovascular disease and psychoses. My father apparently used to be a moderate drinker, but as the years have gone by he has become completely dependent on it. His brilliant engineer mind has been pickled, he has absolutely no appetite, and his days are obviously limited.

Through everything that my brother and I have been through with him we still have our occasional binges, even when we can see what could happen to us if we continue. A lot of people understand the effects of what a chemical can do to their body, but it’s hard to put a picture on facts. The consequences of his actions for my brother and me are severe. He will never be the same father in our eyes because of the pain and embarrassment he has caused us throughout our lives. We have learned to deal with it now, but it’s still very real and very much hurtful when he says and does some of the things he does. We have tried to tell him that it is not to late to get help and go to rehab but he refuses. He’s waiting to die and it’s just a short matter of time before all of his actions catch up to him.

I have come to the realization that my body is my temple and I must care for it wisely—there’s always an effect to every action, whether it be small, or large. Be aware of what you’re doing to your body everyday, every weekend. Putting your body through harm will catch up to you sooner or later, this I believe.