This I believe that God gives me the strength…

Jose Esteban - winterville, North Carolina

I believe that with determination and faith in God we can do whatever we intend to do. Being an immigrant and coming from a country with different language and traditions, it is hard to think that I would be able to make it. I say this because to learn English was to learn how to speak English again as I was a little child, understanding traditions and even remembering holidays that I do not celebrate in my country make me different in every aspect and every way. It is like learning how to be a new person without forgetting the real ‘me’. It is harder when I find people in my path that purposely make me feel like an intruder, telling me that I am not welcome in this country. A friend once told me that “sometimes it is not that we want to be here, sometimes it is those circumstances in our life force us to come over here and try to start a new life”

For me, this land is a land of opportunities that are out there and ready for me to take them and take advantage of them if I am honest and work hard. Nobody has ever said that life is easy, not even Christ said that, but He left us the promises that if we open our hearts to Him, He will never leave us, never forsake us. This is why I believe the perfect ‘combination’ is faith and perseverance.

As an immigrant, I do not have time to worry or complain about things like not having money or a car, I have to get busy or do my best to fix them. We have to work hard and sometimes push harder to accomplish my goals, but at the end the reward is greatly appreciated and I have the knowledge and the experience to help and encourage others that would come behind me. Most immigrants are not criminals or drug dealers. Most of us come to this beautiful country to find another chance, taking advantage of the security and the several opportunities and freedoms that characterize the United Stated. This I believe that God gives me the strength to live one day at a time in this country as an immigrant.