Family – In Retrospect

Sharraine - Hyattsville, Maryland

I spent three weeks on vacation in “family mode” which means that most of the time spent was, in fact, with family. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I devoted most of my vacation–dubbed “my stress free vacation” to family. With family, sometimes stress is sadly inevitable. However, this time it was different. I had several “mini reunions” all of which I enjoyed tremendously. It began with one week in Florida and ended with two weeks in Ohio.

This year there were a bunch of graduations– three from High School and one from kindergarten! Usually, you get tired of family after a few days or so, but I can honestly say, that really enjoyed the time spent. From my organized yet hoarding aunt to my thrill seeking thrift shopping mom! I laugh as I think back to the moments in interacting with them. “You can’t use that, it’s for decoration” my aunt would say. I would laugh and ask, “is there anything that isn’t decoration?” or my mom would ask, “look, I got this for $1.50…isn’t it nice” and I would chuckle and ask “but do you really need it?” Either way, I would oblige, let their idiosyncratic ways not get to me and let them be who they are as they are. I learned.

We laughed together, reminisced together, ate together, slept together, went out on the town together, conversed together, watched movies together. Simply, we bonded together. At one point, there were twenty (20) bodies (including children -3 and babies -1) that slept in a three bedroom house with only two bathrooms!! There was not one major grip nor complaint. We simply relaxed, found space, made space, and enjoyed.

This trip, I believe, made me realize how much I needed that connection. I believe needed the reconnection to aunts, uncles, counsins, brothers, sisters, grandmom, and mom of course. I needed the connection to the stories (good, bad, indifferent). I needed the connection to those with us in memory and sorely missed in our hearts. There were some cousins I haven’t seen in years and their off spring that I had never met. It was truly a delight!

You always know that family is important, but there are moments when you wake up and see– really see, just how important family is in your life. Despite time, distance, lack of communication, issues, drama, etc. connecting to your source is necessary…it is vital to reconnect to your foundation and that is family. This, I believe.