I believe in pizza

Alex - Santa Monica, California

I believe in pizza¾more specifically, the local pizza place a few blocks from my house, The Slice. I believe in the local pizza establishment as a place to get cheap, tasty food, as a rendezvous point for friends, and as a place to go when you’re bored out of your mind and have a few bucks to spare.

I have been going to The Slice for years. As a young kid, I was best friends with the owner’s son. Throughout middle school, the Slice was the place to go after school on Fridays to see your friends and just hang out. In high school, the Slice has been the place to get my cheap hunger fix, or just to relax on a sunny Sunday morning on the back patio eating pizza, french fries, and buffalo wings, with one of my local buddies. Hungry? Slice. Bored? Slice. Meeting someone? Slice. I can never eat enough pizza.

I believe in pizza as therapy. For me, The Slice is like a rejuvenating spa treatment. After a stressful day of school, I can find nothing better to help me relax than cheap, greasy pizza. The second that pepperoni touches my tongue, it’s as if there is nothing in the world that could bother me. At that moment, there is nothing else on my mind other than pizza, and french fries, and boneless buffalo wings, and more pizza. I kick back in my chair, stare up at that great blue sky, soda in one hand, pizza in the other, and I relax.

I believe that at this age, I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want, and not have to worry about the calories or grams of fat. As a teenager, I feel I can do whatever I want, accomplish anything I want to accomplish, and eat as much pizza in a week as I feel like eating. Hardly a week goes by where I don’t go to The Slice, and if I don’t get my fix, I make it my duty to eat there as soon as I scrape together a couple of dollars.

I believe that pizza is a necessary part of everyone’s diet. I believe pizza should be included in the food pyramid under ‘necessary happiness.’ From meat-lovers to vegetarians, pizza is enjoyed by almost everyone, from Japan to right here in our backyards. I believe that without pizza, I would be constantly stressed and verging on insanity. I believe in pizza.