I Believe in Annoying Little Brothers

Kyra - Malibu, California

I believe in the power of annoying little brothers. My brother fits this title perfectly. It can be hard having a younger sibling, especially when he’s a boy. Especially when he’s thirteen and going through puberty.

To be on the same level of annoyance as my little brother I make fun of him. I make fun of his deepening; cracking voice that sounds like the man inside him is trying to connect to the outside world but in small fragments. He responds with a punch, or if I’m lucky just a “shut up”.

Like most siblings, we fight. I’d accidentally push him into a bedroom wall then he’ll respond by tackling me to the floor. I need to keep a tight grip on his fists just so they don’t collide with my face. How we fight and exchange mean words over who should get the last bagel. How when my mom gets mad when there’s no more toilet paper and asks “who was the last one to use the bathroom?!” and my brother responds that it was me, when it wasn’t. How he gets embarrassed when I’m around his friends.

Despite the fights and the curse words exchanged between one another, he is all I have. We’re bond together by blood. He’s all I have at boring adult gatherings. He’s all I have to laugh with till my stomach hurts right before bed time. He’s the one who says “I love you” at the end of the day when it’s time for bed. He’s the only person who asks me for advice on girls. He’s the one who plays Rock Band with me until it’s one in the morning.

I believe in annoying little brothers.

Without my little brother I would feel somewhat alone. I’d have no one to play with and no one to keep me from growing up and not an honest opinion when I need one. When I have a bad hair day or a bad attitude, most people would say “yeah, your hair looks nice,” my little brother will say “it looks weird”. Gee thanks.

Little brothers teach us how to live, how to have patience, and how to put others before ourselves. They teach us how to live and have fun by playing with water guns or jumping in the moon bounce at birthday parties together. To have the patience when a brother won’t stop bugging you when you’re on the phone or get out of the bedroom when you need some privacy. To put him before me and just give him the last bagel.

I believe in little brothers because in the end, their not so bad.