Santa Monica, California

Katherine - Santa Monica, California

I believe in Santa Monica, California.

I could never have asked for a better, more accepting place to grow up in. There is every race, gender, sexual preference, religion, political party (although most tend to be donkeys) and everyone is who they are and are allowed to be who they want to be.

Santa Monica is famous for its liberals and its beaches. Because I live in Santa Monica, I am blessed to wake up and smell sea salt in the air because I live five blocks from the beach. I can go to school and look out the window of my Spanish class and see the whole city – including the ocean.

I am not afraid to speak out and say how I feel about something controversial, which in many parts of the country is unheard of. As a teenager I am free to roam the city by foot or by bus, because even though according to the Missing Persons lyrics “Nobody walks in L.A.”, Santa Monica can be extremely therapeutic to walk through. I can drive down Ocean Park Boulevard and see the ocean and the mountains at the same time.

At Santa Monica High School, books aren’t banned, the music program is the best in the country, and parents are deeply involved. Santa Monica is considered to be a “green” city, meaning its residents like to recycle and every other person I know owns a Toyota Prius. And to top it off the weather couldn’t be better; Santa Monica’s average temperature is usually in the low 70’s.

Although Santa Monica is quite picturesque, there are the unfortunate parts of it as well. Because of our good weather and community services, flocks of homeless persons line the streets waiting for their breakfast on Sunday morning in front of the city hall. And on other days are found in parks, doorways, or the beach. Many people say that there should be a law made for banning homeless people from staying on the streets, which would eventually lessen the amount of people “disrupting the peace”. But I believe that if Santa Monica was not such a community oriented town, they would not come here in the first place. And in that sense, we are helping more of the less fortunate which is the true Santa Monica way.

There is not, and will never be another place such as Santa Monica, California. The beach town in which I grew up is where I would like my children to grow up. Although some people might see my childhood as a little overexposed, I have seen poverty and homelessness in their worst states, which I consider to be humbling in the best way. I realize how amazing I have it and that in other parts of this country, persons of my age can rarely speak their mind if it goes against the grain. I wake up every morning knowing that when I walk out the door, people are going to accept me for who I am and what I believe.

I believe in Santa Monica, California.