I believe in family

Meghan - Santa Monica, California

I believe in family. I believe in the lessons I learn from my family and the strong bonds I have with each of the members.

From the time I was born, my parents have taught my sisters and I to cherish each other and to never forget that family must always come first. Whenever I used to get into fights with my sisters, my mom always said that even though I was fighting with them now, I shouldn’t forget that one day I’m going to need them. It hasn’t stopped me from getting into fights, but I am definitely close with my sisters and can depend on both of them to be there for me whenever I need them. However, I haven’t always appreciated the family I have.

I’ve always heard that “you’ll never miss someone until you lose him/her”. I would think about it, appreciate what I had for a couple of days and then forget this piece of valuable advice and continue on taking everything, especially my family, for granted. My family has shaped who I am to this day: they’ve taught me responsibility, tradition, loyalty, love and the importance of being there for one another. Over the last couple of months, I have learned the importance of family and what it really means to be there for my family.

A week before Christmas in the year 2007, something happened nobody in my family expected- my uncle passed away. He was only 50 years old and was everything to my aunt and four cousins. If there was any time to be supportive and be there for family, it was then and now. Since my uncle’s death, my cousins and aunt come to my house every Saturday and just hang out. The first time they came over, my mom bought a huge jar of cherries and soda because they loved to combine the two together. When they came over, we talked for hours and built stronger bonds as a family. Now we always have cherries in our kitchen and a box filled with dozens of Diet Cherry Coke.

Their visits were unusual at first because they rarely visited our home because it was an hour away from where they lived. My mom told my family that she wanted my aunt to feel comfortable to the point where she could just come over anytime she wanted to. I’m not sure if there is anything as devastating as losing a family member, but I believe that nothing compares to the love and support that family can provide.

I believe that family is one of the most important things in life and it’s something that nobody should take for granted. I hope that those who read this essay will remember the importance of family and spend the time they have with them. I believe a supportive family is one of the most important things to have in life and should be cherished.