Becoming the Bigger Person

Ashley - Warrenton, Virginia
Themes: forgiveness

It was one of those days where the sun kissed my cheek as I drove past the world around me. The windows were down and the wind whipped at my hair. My brother bounced around in the backseat singing “Smooth Criminal.” My brother and I, in my little white Chevy Cavalier, and all the other cars around us. It was a day I would never forget.

Although it was such a lovely day, the one driver in a little red Corvette was about to ruin it all. Trying to veer in and out of traffic, I knew what he was going to attempt to do. I tried to slow down, but it was too late. He had left an ever-lasting red and black mark. This was the only time I’ve been extremely mad when driving. Throughout those unforgettable 30 minutes of driving home, all I could think about was how much of a jerk that guy in his little red Corvette was.

I was still angry when I got home and my parents had me explain why. All they could do was laugh and say “How rude.” I was angry all night and until school the next morning.

Once I had settled down in the morning, I told my friends what was wrong with me and why I was in such a bad mood.

It was then that one best friend said something that would change my life forever: Forgiveness is divine. As soon as she had said that, I began to re-evaluate why I was still so angry. I looked back on how I acted and instantly became ashamed. This angry side of me was not the young woman my parents raised me to be.

I believe forgiveness is divine.

I look around and see the hate-filled world around me. I cannot help but think of my one friend, and because of her, I am able to let go of my anger whenever people make me mad.

I believe forgiveness is divine.

Sometimes I am the on-looker who doesn’t help when someone trips. Or, if someone has books and needs help, I am not the one to help, but rather the one who laughs when they fall. I have been the one who has tripped and been laughed at; or I have been the one to drop books everywhere and been laughed at.

I believe forgiveness is divine.

If I am ever in a position that leads to anger, I remember that I have been them doing something frustrating to someone else. People are not perfect; they are all flawed in their own ways. I’ll always remember one thing: Forgiveness is divine.

The next time someone cuts in line, I will forgive him. The next time someone is so rude that I want to yell, I will forgive him. It’s all because of my one friend who lets it all go.

I believe forgiveness is divine so that someday people will forgive me for my rudeness.