Joan - Princeton, New Jersey
Themes: family, legacy, sports

Today is Father’s Day. My son and I spent the day doing the same thing that we have done each Father’s Day for the past ten years or so. My son plays baseball, and I watch the game. Yes, Father’s Day has been a great day in our family, yet for the past two years, it has changed dramatically. In August of 2005, my husband, Gregg, sufferred a massive intracrebral hemmorhagic stroke, and died in March, 2006. He never regained consciousness, so his last memories were watching his son lead his team in the final game of the 2005 Babe Ruth World Series. He had the stroke at the stadium while my son was pitching in the game. We lost the world as we knew it that day.

The following is an excerpt from a speech that he prepared in the eigth grade, when Gregg was dying. He also read the speech at Gregg’s funeral. So this is my son’s gift to his dad. I believe that there is a special bond between a father and his son that is eternal.

“Focus speech”

Listen pay attention, treasure every moment. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about Creating yourself.

how many people in this theater play or have played baseball on a travel team before? Of those who havnt how many think baseball is boring? Well i have been playing baseball for 9 years, and have never lost the love for it. Baseball for me isn’t just traveling all over the world to play, its enjoying playing and also spending time with friends and my father.Every player on the Montgomery team loved my dad, not only was he smart and knew what he was talking about but he had some jokes and many stories. My dad didn’t play major league baseball or minors and never thought baseball was on option, until i was about 5, i got my dad into baseball and for all of those years he got smarter and smarter and ended up being a great coach to me. I spent more time on and off the field with my father than most kids will ever have with both of their parents. And regretting those times is not going to happen. My dad has been to almost every single one of my games, and has been the guidance and supporter in my baseball career. Not only has he made me work hard every practice but he has taught me how to be a champion.When success is not always an option to me, My dad would always say, “ Hey knuckle head don’t worry about it but forget about it, because there is always a next time, and the best players fail at times.” For the few loses i have had my father and I would reflect and then work on what i did wrong the next day in practice. The best times would be the practice times off the field we had, Calling me names was key in our car ride, names consisted of knuckle head, dummy,and many others not for school. After long sweaty practices there was always the car ride home. The ride home had loud loud music playing, the worst singing, and the people we pass thinking we were the weirdest two people ever. But this was baseball off the field. Two people having the most fun being bad at something. That’s what baseball off the field is to me, baseball on the field to me is a hole other excitement, and hard work.

At the 2005 world series in jamestown New York, was the most fun our team had together, When we made it to the championship it was the happiest time for all of montgomery, for our team that had 36 people try out and only 12 make it playing against a hole state of Louisiana that had at least a couple thousand people try out. As i walked through the dugout onto the field i realized that everything i worked for was worth it, all practice and all flights. The first and only homerun of the world series was hit by a kid named jon scott. As i touched home plate i saw my dads face, if you ever see a face of a man who just won the lottery, this was the face my father had. The biggest hug and smile came from him right after that, hearing 10,000 people cheering your name was nothing compared to the smile from his face.

So listen pay attention , i have treasured each moment spent with my dad, And my future with baseball will still be continuing. And in my thoughts i will always remember his dreams for me, to go far with my baseball career. And his words to me will always be in my heart even when iam off the field. If not for my father gregg scott i would not have the same love and passion for the game as i do now, I will continue playing baseball and hopefully someday share the same teachings my dad gave me to my children.