Family Comes First

Daja - Fairfield, Connecticut

I believe that family comes first.

Throughout my sophomore year I had been through a lot. I was going through so many problems in my life. I was grounded from October to January. When I’m grounded I don’t care about school, anything or anyone. Not even myself!

I was doing poorly in school therefore my grades were ridiculously low. I had lost credits in 3 of my classes, I lost 2 of my best friends, my Mom and I were getting

into arguments almost everyday, and since my parents are divorced I would barely talk to my own Father about my problems because he wasn’t there for me like a real father should be. With all that happening I got so stressed out.

I didn’t have anybody I could talk to about my problems. I would usually just keep things to myself, and not tell anybody what I was going through because I felt like I would just waste my time talking to someone about it because I felt that no one cared. I felt like I just wanted to let go of everything.

I still continued to do bad in school, and I still didn’t care about anything or anyone. I was still getting into trouble and getting punished, and I would blame other people for my mistakes when I knew it was nobody else’s fault but my own. I wanted to change my attitude and my behavior.

During all of this I finally talked to someone who I felt that cared, and that was my aunt. It felt good to talk to her because I was able to explain to her what I was going through, and I was able to express my feelings and let my emotions out. And I felt comfortable doing that because she would listen to me and she would tell me what I should do so I can resolve my problems. This proved to me that she did care about me . I felt happy to know that I had someone to talk to.

My inspired me to do good in school because she would always encourage me to do my homework, projects etc. She helped me a lot and I started to do better in school. My attitude had changed and so did my behavior which is exactly what I wanted to happen. I was more respectful, and very optimistic.

I felt like I accomplished my goals and I felt proud of myself.

I believe that family comes first before anything because in the end, your family will be all that you have. When you feel sad, when you have problems, when you’ve lost a friend etc. Your family will always be there for you no matter what. Sometimes people put there friends before there family. Friends are not always going to be there for you but your family will. This I believe.