Unlock Your Secrets, Unlock Your Soul

Elizabeth - Greenville, North Carolina

Every Sunday morning is the same. I sleep in, eventually roll out of bed, take the dog out, and check Postsecret.com. I read the twenty-some brand new secrets with wide eyes and the eagerness of a kid in a candy store. What new outrageous/funny/depressing/strange secret will I read? Will anyone else have the same secrets that I have? My reactions are different every Sunday, but I always learn something new, whether about myself or about someone else.

The rules for sending in a postcard to Frank Warren, the creator of Postsecret.com, are simple: Take a postcard. Tell your secret anonymously. Stamp and mail the postcard. Reveal anything – as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before. I believe in the power of freeing your secrets.

I have sent in two secrets of my own. Walking to the mailbox and placing a secret inside is exhilarating, like I’m releasing a little bit of myself into the unknown. Sending my secrets to Postsecret and reading secrets of others on the website encourages me to be more open with people in my life. I feel more comfortable sharing a secret with someone I care about than ever before. Whether it’s a family member, friend, or my boyfriend, our relationship is strengthened by what we share with one another.

I have a tendency to rush through my days, always thinking about what comes next on my agenda. I often focus on the future instead of just enjoying the present. Many of the secrets I read remind me to appreciate the wonderful things in my life and never take anything for granted. One of my favorite secrets says “It makes me sad that other people aren’t as excited as I am about living.” Life is short and I want to make the best of mine. It’s secrets like these that help me occasionally stop what I’m doing, take a deep breath, and be thankful for all the blessings in my life and the beauty that’s around me.

Postsecret connects me to thousands of people all over the world. Every once in awhile, I read someone’s secret that’s also a secret of mine. Knowing that other people have the same fears, worries, joys, and hopes that I do comforts me. Even though I don’t personally know the people behind the secrets, I love being reminded that I’m not alone.

I know my curiosity will get the best of me every Sunday morning. Like a sneaky sibling stealing a glance at her sister’s diary, I know I’ll want to keep looking and reading. I’ll want to know if my perspective is shared, if my fears are normal, if my experiences are typical. When it’s just me and Postsecret.com, it’s not so frightening to admit who I really am. Postsecret.com is like the key to that forbidden locked diary, opening up the world around me so that I might better understand my own secrets and the stories they tell.