So Sick Wit It

Dona - Los Angeles, California

Lowkey, I believe in Slang. I contribute living, breathing words, carefully thought

of to mean more than just letters; they mean who I am. Slang is more than the words our

ancient dictionary writing ancestors created; it is the language of self. Slang has

resuscitated this cold, bare lingo into a pulsating, powerful form of communication.

I use slang on a daily basis. From my teachers to my friends to my AP English

essays, I have used slang to formulate and express myself; putting a twist on the

redundant, old English language, I am the modern day Shakespeare. Lowkey, I speak

without keeping myself on check, I speak and let my goals, dreams and personality flow

through my mouth like a river; with no definite end or beginning. . A better simile would

be to compare the old school English to a dead body. It has no life, no touching emotion

behind its elevated façade; Slang blows the breath of life into my words and allows them

to touch people, let people know that I am human. I have the power to take something as

grand and majestic as the English language and add some of myself to it; slang lets me

make my language original, with words not originated from Latin, but from Dona.

I am the meaning behind my words. I can reach down deep and touch another

human being by my slang; what I say in slang could never be said in proper

English. Slang brings comfort. Slang brought me and the other around me the ability to connect with each other on a different lever; when I say “wussup”, they aren’t shivering from the cold and proper “how are you”. The definitions of certain combinations of words, such as “sick with it”, mean the exact opposite in the proper as they do in slang; giving new meaning to such arbitrary words and giving us slang-ers something to identify with. “Sick with it” in dictionary terms means something that has fallen to illness, yet, on the slang- induced generation today, it means to be the coolest thing possible. The invisible world of slang manifests itself powerfully within me, so powerful that I have found myself. It had given me the ability to step out of the well-measured, English frame that we are all taught to fit; it has allowed me to grow in my personality, spirit and friendship. I do not have to be another AP English student stereotype, with my flawless annunciation and my dictionary-perfect word usages, through slang, I can be me, the not so perfect, human me.