Common Ground of Sports

Matt - Wayne, Michigan
Themes: community, sports

I believe that no matter who you are or where you live that we all have a common ground in sports. Think about it sports is something that we put our hearts, soul, hopes, and dreams into. It is something that can bring us great joy or bring us tremendous heartache.

Sports seem to provide this relief from the everyday grind that we call “the work week”. It can also provide us with a way to ease our mind and hearts through tragedy no matter how big or small it may be. One occasion that sticks out in my mind is September 11th. A week after this nation suffered its greatest tragedy; when we all questioned the how safe we were or what would happen next there was one thing that we turned to and that was sports. I can still remember watching the first sporting event after 9/11 and it was a St. Louis Cardinals baseball game that was aired on national TV; the great Jack Buck delivered a memorable speech before the game took place and with the entire world watching the teams played ball. For those of us who remember this day we remember it as the day that sports helped us get back some normalcy to our lives.

In Europe they have soccer and here in the U.S. we have quite a few sports such as football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. The athletes that play these sports turn into our heroes and they are left to burden the responsibility of a city or states happiness or disappointments. It is truly amazing that how from one game you can have sheer joy in one city or state and grave disappointment in another all from one game but then again is it just a “game” or is it more of a lifestyle that our society needs. I believe that sports is the ultimate feel good medicine, whether you are terminally ill or just down on your luck sports has this funny way of making us feel good about the world we live in today. It represents the hard work and determination that we all try to live our everyday lives by.

I believe we all have a common ground in sports and what better to have a common ground in; sports brings our communities together all cheering for a common goal. Recently I was at the Joe Louis arena in Detroit, MI for game 6 of the Stanley cup finals; now understand that this game was being played in Pittsburgh, PA, but still 10,000 Red Wing fans piled into this arena to watch the game on the big screen. Now I very well could have watched this game from home, but the reason that I went to the Joe was to be with all the fans cheering for the common goal of a championship to be brought back to Hockeytown and let me tell you when the game was over and we had finally brought lord Stanley’s cup home I caught myself hugging and slapping high fives with people that I had never seen before and would most likely never see again. I then realized that all this joy was brought to not only the fans in the arena, but all the Red Wing fans around the world all through a lifestyle that we call sports.

And that is why I believe we all have a common ground in sports.