Let Me Get That For You

Laura - Garden City, Michigan
Themes: golden rule

The golden rule of life has always been “do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” This lesson from the Bible seems so straightforward. Treat people how you would want to be treated. Unfortunately, this way of life is becoming more obsolete as time goes on.

Recently, in Hartford, Connecticut, a 78 year old pedestrian was run over by a car. His body laid lifeless in the street with many bystanders looking on and walking over him without checking to see if he was alright. The man finally received help but only from a police officer that was responding to a different call.

When I read about this story, I was shocked. Even if the bystanders were too scared to approach the man, why did they not call for help? With all the access to cellular phones there was no excuse to ignore this situation. As a human being, I am infuriated. It seems that many people have no regard for human life and each other.

I do not understand why it has become so difficult to take less than five minutes out of our daily lives to help someone for instance open a door or help carry heavy packages. Much of the time there is no monetary gain, but the feeling knowing that someone has benefited by your actions should be enough.

It is wonderful though when people step out of the “me” box and look to help someone in need. Last weekend, my mother was telling me that she had gotten a flat tire in the parking lot of her favorite store. Luckily, there was a man walking by at the same time. He asked if he could be of assistance by changing the bad tire to the spare one. She gratefully accepted his offer. When he finished changing the tires, she thanked him but said that she was sorry she did not have any cash to reward his kindness. He told her not to worry and just to return the favor to someone else.

This story really makes you think. If everyone just returned a favor to someone else, I truly believe that there would be no more suffering in the world. We would be too busy looking out for our fellow brother, making sure that they are okay. There would be no time for crime and the world would be a better place.

It seems simple enough, treating someone the way you would want to be treated. Helping others the way you would want to be helped. If people stop and realize you are only as successful as your neighbor, maybe people would want to help more. Returning the kindness of someone else seems more beneficial than standing around waiting for the next person to help.