Strictly Plutonic

Brandon - Canton, Michigan

What better company to be in then that of a total stranger from the internet? Seriously. For someone like me who suffers from anxiety of an unimaginable degree, meeting a total stranger from the internet is the emotional equivalent of unbuttoning my pants after a huge meal. Once you say the initial hellos there is this huge wave of relief that washes over you that the other person hasn’t started running in the direction opposite of you. I believe that sometimes it is easier to confide in someone who doesn’t know your personal history, or they only know what you want them to know.

Sure I can’t lie, there is danger involved when meeting a total stranger like “generic screen name” who lives an hour away. Who knows she could be a deranged stalker or even a dangerous guy. There is also the chance that you are about to embark on the greatest journey of your life. With each person I meet a waterfall of possibilities pours out around me. The anonymity of it all makes things much easier, like a well greased chain on a bicycle.

The fear of being judged is absent. If the other person decides they don’t like you what does it matter? They have no connection to anyone you know. You two can go your separate ways like ships silently passing in the night. If you hit things off however, something beautiful can grow.

Sometimes it’s also fun just to meet someone and agree to never speak again after the first meeting. You spend hours discussing your lives over endless cups of coffee at Denny’s until your body is shaking so bad from the caffeine over load that the manager tells you no more. It is an experience that allows you to just be you. No need for social etiquettes you and your friends have created in order to allow your clique group to function. No need to worry about everyone you know finding out you cried your eyes out while watching the movie Blow. Just the person opposite of you listening to everything you are saying and hopefully hanging onto every word, without judging you. Of course they won’t judge you either. They wouldn’t dare. They just told you about how they accidentally peed themselves at Cedar Point when they were 18 or about their first kiss and how the hit their teeth against the other persons teeth.

With a stranger truth carries no weight. They have no way to compare what you are saying to your over all character. The best part though of meeting a stranger is sometimes you make their day better. You know the type of person I am talking about, the one just like you and me. They don’t really feel comfortable yet about who they are and they are looking for someone to talk to, a completely unbiased third party. You see their post in the Plutonic section of Craigslist and you think to yourself, I may be feeling like dirt today but maybe I can give this person one thing to smile about. So you go about setting up a meeting and preparing all your most embarrassing stories so you can make them laugh for six hours straight and forget. For once in their life truly forget, about everything outside that exact moment with a perfect stranger.