The Support of a Wife

James - Redford, Michigan
Themes: family, gratitude

Not long after graduating High School, with the support of my parents and girlfriend, I purchased a home. Money had never been my strong suit, my mom handled things for me prior to my moving out, and my girlfriend handled them once I had my own home. We got married January of 2007 and she moved into the house with me.

Money had always been tight, not wanting to touch the savings we had built up. My wife was laid off from work, and I had a job in heating and cooling which didn’t provide a steady income. My wife managed the household and finances and never let me worry about a thing. She got called back to her previous employer with a nice raise to go along with the promotion.

She had training for 5 months that caused her to have to drive 60 miles per day, and with the price of gas, that didn’t help matters much. Despite the gas prices, and bills piling up, she did something I can never thank her enough for. She listened to me throughout our years together and when work was getting bad that fall, she said “Quit”. Quit I did, and returned to school to pursue a job I have always wanted to do, become a law enforcement officer.

I am in my second semester, and plan to graduate in May 2009. I believe that without the support and encouragement of my wife, I would not be able to succeed in school. She encouraged me to enroll and has helped me as far as figuring out how to pay the tuition and buy the books for class. Our refrigerator may not always have a lot of food in it, and she may worry constantly; but she won’t let me quit and go back to work.

Without her support and encouragement, I don’t think I would be as happy as possible in 5 or 10 years. Because of her, I will get to do something I didn’t think I would ever do. I never enjoyed classes in high school; I was more into the athletics and hanging out with my friends. I tried a few college courses after graduation, and decided it wasn’t for me. Even starting the Criminal Justice program, I didn’t think I would be successful. I work hard at my assignments, and have perfect attendance.

I do this not just because it is something I know I will be good at, but I do this because my wife deserves to be proud of me. She deserves the struggles to be worth it in the end.