Brittani - Fayetteville, North Carolina

I believe that you can turn tragedy into triumph. For me, I experienced this first hand at a young age. Growing up, I believed that my life could not be any more perfect. I lived in a home comprised of two parents and a little sister who thrived on joy and laughter. Never did I believe that anything could wrong; I believed that our family would last forever. Unfortunately, life threw an unanticipated curveball.

April 17, 1997, is a day that I will never forget. It started just like any other morning. As I would get ready for school, my father prepared breakfast before he headed off to work. As I walked into the kitchen, I could smell the aroma of my favorite breakfast food, a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich. I thanked my father and kissed him on the cheek as he was about to walk out the door. “I love you daddy, see you later.” Never did I think that that would be the last time I would say those words to him.

That night, my father was involved in fatal car accident. I was only in the fourth grade at the time, so you can probably imagine the mixed emotions that I felt. The emotion that seemed to prevail above all was the feeling that somehow I was the cause of his death. “I should have been a better daughter, I should have been a better sister” was a thought that bombarded my mind for the longest time. Fortunately, through faith, I would turn my tragedy into triumph.

The triumph that emerged from my tragedy is that I found salvation through Jesus Christ. By developing a relationship with Christ, I was able to gain the strength to overcome the negative thoughts I once had concerning the death of my father. A scripture that gave me comfort was Romans 8:37, “Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” This particular scripture gave me encouragement by reassuring me that no matter what difficult situation may come my way, I am able to overcome it. Also, when I do overcome a difficult situation, it only makes me stronger.

From this experience, I have more of a positive outlook on life. When it seems as though there is no hope in the midst of trials and tribulations, I now have faith that I can make it. Matthew 19:26 reassures me that “For with God, all things are possible.” Trust me, I can attest to this.