Matthew - Southgate, Michigan

Taught to be a Man

I never knew my actual biological father. Throughout my whole life he has been in prison and I’ve only met him once. I always think to myself what a low life he must be. I met him when I was six but I can vaguely remember. He just had got out of prison, but would later go back on other charges. I look at is if though I don’t even have a father. Theres has been one person that has raised me and gave me the love that a father gives a son. That man is my grandpa.

My mom was pregnant with me at the age of 17. I guess you can say I was sort of unexpected. My mom lived with her parents and I was soon to be living with them as well. I was raised with a mom and two loving grandparents, but it was my grandpa who taught me about life. He has taught me everything I need to know to be a successful man. One thing he has always preached to me was to not end up like him and work how he has worked for a living. He has been a truck driver all his life, and even though now he owns his own company, it is very hard manual labor. He has always taught that education is everything. Everything he says I take word for word. He is the most knowledgeable man I know.

The thing that I admire him most for would have to be the support he has always given me. No matter what I choose to do he has always been there to cheer me on. Especially with sports, I don’t think he has ever missed one of my high school football games. Even when we had to travel four hours away for the regional championship. Now that I am in college and going for a bachelor degree in criminal justice, he is right behind me. Ever since I was 15 years old he took out a college fund for me so that I would not have to take out any loans. He is paying for my college with his own money. I’d say he wants me to succeed in life.

Now, I am in college, working full time and just trying to get a degree. When I accomplish that I will be one of the first people out of my immediate family to have a degree. I know my family is proud of me but my grandpa may be the proudest. I know I will never be able to pay him back for all of the things he has done for me. All I can do is whenever he needs anything done, I will be the first to help him. I still wish I could be a little more like him and have his unselfishness. He is the person that keeps are family running. Without him it would be tough. He is doing a very good job on teaching me the ways of life. Him and I are very close to each other and always will be.