Let It Be

Becky - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I believe in the Beatles. The Beatles hit my life when I was in the fifth grade. I remember my class practicing our chapel program for that year and we asked our teacher if we could end it with a Beatles song. Her reply was “No one will even remember who the Beatles are in three months!” That was over forty years ago!

I also remember sitting in our family room watching the Beatles’ US debut on the Ed Sullivan show. Oh my God, it was Paul, John, George and Ringo and they lived up to all of my pounding heart’s expectations!

I changed as the Beatles changed. Not because I was trying to be like them, but we did seem to all change and grow together. When Yoko taught John that “You won’t take nothin’ with you but your soul”, I, too, was pondering what would ultimately happen to my own soul.

When the Beatles broke up in 1970 I was not as heartbroken as I think I should have been now. Not that it was okay. It just was. I honestly never really pondered the “Was it Yoko’s fault?” question. I was just too into going to college and worrying about the Vietnam War and whether any of my brothers would be drafted. Besides, I would always have the Beatles. Every band would always be compared to the Beatles because they were the band of all bands, the innovators, the philosophers. They defined my time.

George went on to challenge our thoughts about such things as what now really means, is our existence real or illusion. Heavy, man. I spent a lot of thought and time there and decided that it may all be an illusion, but it doesn’t really matter.

Paul fell in love with Linda and stayed in love. The only time in their marriage that they ever spent apart was when Paul was arrested for possessing marijuana in Japan. Wasn’t that romantic? I always dreamed it would be me that Paul fell for, but I moved on. (I still think he’s very cute, only now in an over 50 sort of way.)

Ringo, well Ringo just had a lot of fun.

I cried when John Lennon died. I am still so sad. What a voice we lost! John once said, “Life is what’s happening while you’re busy making other plans.” Did he know that he was being so profound when he said that? I would never have dreamed even ten years ago that I would be where I am now. Much of my life has happened more by circumstance than design. When my days are hectic or too busy I just listen to “Let it Be” and try to do just that.