Phoenix from the Ashes.

Kayleigh - victoria, Canada
Themes: afterlife

“Until you are aware of the inevitable law of die and be born again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark earth.”

Are we as humans, confined to solely one physical existence, one physical life, and one conscious experience? Through my own personal beliefs, and an examination of the investigative knowledge of others, I’ve come to know without a doubt in my mind that this couldn’t be further from the truth.

The notion that we are given only one go at fulfilling our personal destinies, one shot at this big game of life, seems absurd and incomprehensible to me. That the wins and losses we experience are atoned for in approximately three quarters of a century? If every action creates an equal and opposite reaction, it seems only fitting that the mistakes we make now, will nonetheless be paid for and learned from. And if not amended in this present life, then the only suitable option is in another. This theory is often referred to as Karma. In my opinion, that is the main purpose of reincarnation, what pushes our immortal soul onward. To learn from your errors in judgment, and to hopefully make a better choice when the opportunity arises. And in turn becoming more enlightened, if you will, with each karmic lesson. One way to look at this seemingly confusing concept is to visualize our lives as a sort of “school for souls”. As we move from life to life, our souls, which can be compared to in simpler terms as a sort of pure awareness, evolve. Or using the school analogy, graduate to a higher grade. Every past experience, both positive and negative, hindering, and beneficial, has assisted immensely in the shaping of who we are at this very moment. This is not to say that we are continually thrown into a never ceasing cycle of random lives. That would be increasingly redundant, never mind irrelevant. This is simply to imply that as long as we have done something of a fair amount of importance and have not received the opportunity to make up for it, we will continue on in the cycle of death and rebirth. In hopes that one day we may come to a place, where unlawful action is no longer an option. Some skeptics say that the idea of rebirth is a merely a fantasy theory ‘created’ solely for the sake of some form of comfort. That humans do not want to cease to exist and so hold on to this notion for consolation. While reincarnation can offer a sense of consolation, it can also hold vast amounts of personal knowledge, when tapped into. Investigating into your own past lives, through meditation, hypnosis, or simply deep inner contemplation, can offer a large amount of insight into the reasons for many of the things we do, and the people we know. And in realizing that the seemingly unfair and undeserved situations that we find ourselves in could in fact be deserved, and that we long ago were the initiators of such negativity, we can begin viewing others and our undesirable experiences with compassion and even forgiveness. Albeit there is the opinion of some, that memories and recollections of past lives are frankly just imagination and wishful thinking. But even if it were, would it not still be a truly beneficial tool for self-understanding?

The topic of reincarnation has long been disputed, and is not equitable to some new age mystical conviction as is often said. Approximately one in four people believe in reincarnation, a whopping 30 000 people in America alone. And not only are there many believers in reincarnation, some being of famous and respected prestige, but many references to the subject dated back to phenomenally ancient times. To name a few, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, and Judaism, are just some of the religions who whole heartedly concord with the subject. Take for example two admired and sophisticated figures such as Plato, and Socrates. They devoted much of their time in trying to prove the theory of rebirth through philosophy. Plato viewed the soul as an eternal, ever evolving form of spirit, with the physical body’s only job being the vehicle.

The journey down the sometimes profound and shocking road into your past can open you up to worlds of self-revelation that you never knew possible. If, and only if, you are willing to do so with an open-mind and an open heart. In doing so, I promise that you will eventually emerge from the adventurous tunnel of self-discovery with things looking a little clearer, a little brighter, and much more vivid. I know my own journey has a long way to go, but things are already starting to look more interesting.