Hakuna Matata

Stefanie - Green Brook, New Jersey

I believe in Hakuna Matata. A key phrase and song in Disney’s The Lion King, Hakuna Matata means no worries. Although the song is sung by animated warthogs, the message behind the short, comical piece is important and could even be life changing. The song explains the way that I choose to live my life […]

I believe in Hakuna Matata. A key phrase and song in Disney’s The Lion King, Hakuna Matata means no worries. Although the song is sung by animated warthogs, the message behind the short, comical piece is important and could even be life changing. The song explains the way that I choose to live my life and the laid back attitude that I try to maintain.

As the song goes, “it’s a problem free, philosophy; Hakuna Matata” I believe that going with the flow is an important part of living my life to the fullest. Worrying creates unnecessary stress and will ultimately reduce my productivity. Stressing myself out about life will not make me happier, smarter, or more enjoyable to be around but instead will cause me to waste my life being pessimistic.

I am an extremely hard worker and I put 110% into everything, but once the exam is taken, I do not worry about how I preformed because just though I did my best, there is nothing that can be done to change my grade. I realize that one exam grade is not going to change my entire life and I therefore should not drive myself nuts about it. While others spend time worrying and contemplating their previous exam performances, I am already completely focused on learning the new material. If I cannot change the past, why should I spend time worrying about the inevitable?

The epiphany of my relaxed lifestyle is shown in my convertible. I drive with the top down, whenever the weather permits, because it makes me feel free, as if my responsibilities are flying out the open roof. I relax and let my hair fly around and ultimately get knotty. At this point, I do not worry about getting the knots out, I just sit back, enjoy the sun and the sense of freedom that the wind creates as my hair whips me in the face. This exact situation is comparable to my life. I take each situation as it come, enjoying every minute as it passes. I am not worried about the “knots” that will need to be brushed out of my life later; I am more concerned about living in the moment.

“Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase” that perfectly explains the way I enjoy my life as it comes, one day at a time. As the wind tosses my sun-kissed hair, my mind free of worries, I dream about the delights of tomorrow, not the hassles waiting at the end of my journey. I believe in Hakuna Matata.