I Believe

Gerry - Oxnard, California

I believe that we do not posses this word we call “freedom”. We are all prisoners within our society. We believe what our ears hear and what our eyes see. We are given the right to “freedom of speech”. However we fall into trouble for expressing ourselves whether for being gay, an expression of an opinion that is different from other’s and just bringing modern day society back into reality.

When I was in third grade my teacher was lecturing us about WWII, and how

America dropped the A bomb on Japan .I said to her “I don’t understand, why would they kill so many innocent people that’s not right. She simply responded, “Well if you don’t like it then why don’t you go back to Mexico?”, and then sent me outside for the remainder of the day. Simply for expressing myself which is what we are told to do as children to ask “Why” and to tell the adults at your school what you feel and what you don’t understand. I believe that we do not uphold the freedom of speech. See we are given this so called freedom of speech but there are consequences for an expression. Also these rights are taken away from us when we enter school. Most of our right’s are taken away from us. We are taught to do as we are told without asking questions. In junior high there was a staff member named Rudy. Now Rudy was told to be a very mean man. A man who knows how to put students in their place. When I got to junior high I was told this exactly “that’s Rudy listen to him no matter what, do everything he says, When he tells you to jump you say How High?”One day I was walking through the quad at my junior high and Rudy was walking my way he said “Hey Stop!!” So I stopped. He then said jump and I didn’t reply to him”. He said again “Jump, when

I tell you to jump you say HOW HIGH.” .Again I didn’t respond I was nervous and a little intimidated by him. However I was sent to the office for not responding like the rest of the students would which is by saying “HOW HIGH RUDY”. We are told when it’s okay to eat, and when it’s okay to go to the restroom. Our opinion really doesn’t matter.

When we are in court we are told to hold a certain honor for the judge, Even though he means nothing to us. He control’s a person’s destiny whether innocent or not, But who is he to decide that. I believe that god is the only spirit that can judge any human being. We have to speak to the judge with respect or else, but why just because he was elected judge. And? We should all be treated equally what ever happened to the saying “Respect is earned not given”. I don’t know the judge .He is nothing to me but the chooser of my destiny and I believe with all my heart that it’s just not fair..

In the street’s you see people looking down upon a Homeless, Mexican, Black, White, Asian person, but why? We are all people. We all need air as well as food to live. We all came out of our mother’. I believe we should all be treated equally, but something that really hurt to find out is. It doesn’t matter what you believe. Because we’re all in this food chain equal to the animal kingdom. Who cares what the workers think right? We only care about the big man the money makers. I honestly think that this won’t be read on the radio. I believe it has the potential to be read. But it’s better off for the people of the greatest nation of them all to not live in reality and keep on living in our own little worlds that we feel safe in. So I shall end it with this. I believe we should all be treated equally, that we should all have a shot to do what we want to do. I want to have the same chances of becoming a wealthy lawyer as the rich kid living on Spanish hills with everything he wants given to him at that exact moment. This is America land of the free and home of the brave. I do not possess freedom I am still in the progress of fighting for it. And bravery, bravery is just a good word to describe someone who isn’t afraid to put themselves as well as their opinions out into this cruel world. Thank you.

“A true revolutionary is guided by great feelings of love” –Ernesto “Che” Guevara