Design: The Answer

Jessica - Briarcliff Manor, New York

Design is universal. It is all things – it is everything. We, as human beings, are products of a design process – an evolutionary one that spans hundreds of thousands of years, one that is not yet complete.

Design occurs all around us, within us, and because of us. Though it is a natural process that occurs despite us, it is also practiced by those who call themselves designers.

Designers are problem-solvers. They’re creators, developers, thinkers, and artists – all at the same time. Their job is simple – they are given problems and they must provide solutions. However, these problems aren’t just visual or aesthetic ones; they’re social, political, and global: they’re human problems.

I believe in design. I believe in its power to generate change, to encourage growth, to solve problems, and to further human progress.

All of the organisms on this Earth have emerged from that soup of inorganic material that collected on the prehistoric planet. Today, life comes in all forms – single-celled organisms, bacterial colonies, sea-dwellers, amphibians, birds, reptiles, and mammals. As a type of mammal, humans are the most complex and intelligent of all forms of life.

As humans, we’ve experienced and practiced design. From the development of bipedalism to our prefrontal cortices – we are nature’s design. Our current form is nature’s best solution for our environment, so far. Simple stone tools, the wheel, written language, the compass, the printing press, the steel plow, electric power, the vaccine, antibiotics, the computer, and the internet – they’re all products of human design and they’re all solutions.

I believe that people harnessing the power of design, collaborating, communicating, and connecting with other designers, have the ability to solve anything. Designers are changing the world we live in and the way we live in it – they’ve shaped our cultures, our communities, and our societies.

I believe that there is nothing that can stop the innovative and creative spirit of humans.

Design is essential. Design is the solution.

And I want to help.