David - Briarcliff Manor, New York

“It is more blessed to give than to receive”. Acts 20:35

I believe that when I take the time to help people, I grow as a person. In this constantly growing and changing world, we tend to pay little attention to our surroundings and the people within them. Instead we often think of our own convenience before we think of the elderly woman who needs help carrying some monolithic load, or of the young child who can’t find his or her parents. We are often too caught up in our own busy worlds to think of others. However, I do not place the blame on any specific person. I myself am guilty of the aforementioned wrongdoings. But over my relatively short life, I have realized that there is no better way to improve ones self than to take one’s time and give it to other people.

Indeed I believe that we have a spiritual obligation to give back to our communities. I believe that we are commanded by God to help the poor and the needy, and although there are many people who don’t believe as I do, I feel that it is my duty as a Christian to use my talents for the benefit of others. Through each experience that I have with helping others, I feel that I gain something. I gain strength, insight into my own life and problems, and a sense of fulfillment in knowing that I helped someone through his or her struggles.

Ralph Waldo Emerson felt that one shouldn’t help others just to feel good about one ’s self, however, if this was the case no one would ever overcome his or her struggles. It is better to help and give than to not give at all due to guilt. We shouldn’t think about the consequences of assistance, instead assistance should be spontaneous. Indeed helping others may have its perks, but it most certainly doesn’t have any detrimental effects. Giving should be something that people do because it is right and because they want to improve themselves. After the feelings of elation wear off, it doesn’t matter whether or not I felt good about myself, but instead it matters whether or not I decided to aid that person in need.

Every one should feel humanely if not spiritually obligated to help others, because the time will come in which we all will be in need. It is in these times that we often wish that someone would devote his or her own time towards us. So we should give because it is the right thing to do. Giving is often mistaken and with money. Giving doesn’t always mean putting one’s signature on a check. It can be as simple as “Hello, How are you doing?” Yet these examples are often overlooked. I have realized that my responsibility is to remember that there are many ways to help others and to take full advantage of all those methods.