It’s the Little Things

Erika - Briarcilff, New York

It’s the Little Things

The beauty of a quilt. Little strands woven together to formulate one intricate masterpiece. The details, the embroidery, the fabrications created by the workings of tiny fingers gently guiding delicate threads. Indeed the piece is aesthetically pleasing, but below the surface it is the hard labor of aching fingers, the brilliance of particularly arranged colors, and the love of passion– the desire to create. But time and time again we are blind….

I believe that true beauty is found in the finer points: the sanded edge of a wooden desk, the carvings in an old oak tree, and the long lashes of a blinking eye. Often we are too quick to judge, too quick to decide, and too quick to simply overlook the foundations of life’s mysterious creations. A human figure is comprised of a skeletal structure, four limbs, a face, and several appendages. So often we simply denote attractive from homely. But this is based on a glimpse, a rapid glance at the whole, a snapshot of a memory. However, it is rare that one takes the time to look beyond, to observe without a glazed vision, to dismantle a piece into fractions. For kindness, humor, and character are all parts that encompass a human being. To disregard these fractions in one’s judgment of a person would be to severely miscalculate.

I believe in the power of intellectual perception, the power to penetrate deeper than mere images and appearances. Without this ability, this great adaptation to soak up all the knowledge this world has to offer, the meaning of life would be lost. Because in order to truly grasp beauty and to truly pursue passions one must be able to see the individual strokes, must hear the notes that hum almost silently, and must feel the texture of the veins in a green leaf. With these senses, the hidden ingredients of life’s simple pleasures become clear. Life is a jigsaw puzzle in which each piece contributes and connects one idea to the next.

Every concept that governs our universe can be decomposed into fragments. A day made up of twenty-four hours can be broken up into sixty minutes per hour, and sixty seconds per minute. Soup–not simply a bowl of floating chunky liquid but a concoction of noodles, zesty flavoring, and exotic spices. This year’s most popular fragrance: a tangy twist of potent lemon calmed by a cool citrus kick and a touch of soothing strawberry. I believe that these different ingredients, these specific details are a gift that human kind has the privilege to explore and savor. The most can be learned when a substance, a concept, a human is dissected into pieces. To look through a microscope is to reveal another world, to unleash a beauty that was once imperceptible. I must never live blindly because I believe that life’s most essential elements are the ones that are barely visible.