I believe in the power of stars

Alexa - Briarcliff, New York
Themes: hope

Every night, the midnight sky is lit up with glowing, gleaming twinkles adding elements of magic to what seems like a bitter, harsh world. I believe stars are more than decorative objects adorning the sky; stars are virtuous, symbolizing the magic in people, serving as the extraordinary element in life bringing hope and miracles to the ominous world.

When I was ten, my parents got divorced. I remember vividly the incredible shock I felt when I heard that ear piercing word… divorce? How could that be? My family seemed perfect. We appeared to have it all. The big white house, the huge backyard ornamented with old oak, willow, and cherry trees. Summer days were spent swinging from a tire, hugging what I thought had to be the oldest tree in the world. Our golden retriever, Dryfeus, was king of the property, and from my eyes, he kept the monsters away at night. How could everything disappear? How could my wonderful family fall from grace? Despite my disbelief, my dad moved out two weeks later; we sold the big white house and gave Dryfeus to a farm upstate.

For months, all seemed so sad; nothing in my new life held the sparkle created from what I thought was my ideal family. The new crimson house couldn’t hold a candle to what was my white castle, and without Dryfeus, the creaky moldings that hung above my bed seemed to be inhabited by every sort of inhumane creature imaginable. My dad’s cheerful façade did nothing to hide his loneliness; even my mom, who never let us see her pain, seemed plagued with emptiness. I found myself mindlessly gazing out the window, wishing on a star. “Star light, Star bright, first star I see tonight, please grant the wish I wish tonight,” I would repeat as I lied in bed; each evening I wished that my family would find happiness, that my dad would no longer have to put up a transparent front, that the moldings would stop creaking, and that sparkle that shed light on everything around me would somehow return to all aspects of life.

I believe in stars, that they symbolize a supernatural force, fueled by the goodness of people. To me, there is no god, no one person healing the sick, or making rich the poor. However, there is something bigger than us all-something stronger, more powerful, something other than sheer gravity keeping the universe in check. This omnipotent power is manifested in the form of stars.

Seven years later, the sparkle has returned – brighter, and stronger than ever. My mom remarried, and our families have joined together to form a bond so strong, a fortification I never imagined at a mere age of ten years old. My dad is recently engaged and happier than ever. He and his fiancé are settling into a wonderful life together. Today, I wouldn’t trade my families for anything. Seven years later, my wish has come true. I believe in the power of stars.