The Best Stadium

Norman - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: place, sports

I can’t think of any other college stadium where football and sports fans bond together more than Dowdy Flicken stadium. This stadium is always packed to the streets of Greenville. It’s promised that once you come in the stadium you will stand on your feet the whole game because of the excitement the players bring from the big hits and breathe taking plays. The person sitting next to you might be a stranger at first. However, but once the game is over you will see the excitement on this person’s face and then you will understand that you share a special bond, a love for the players on the field.

All those who dislike the Pirates and everything about them, that comes being jealous because of all of the excitement these places bring to their fans and community. I can remember watching North Carolina University play North Carolina State University on TV when I was younger. Their game would go into TV time outs the TV station would put East Carolina University on the big screen and there were celebrations going on in Greenville because of the positive influence the players had on the fans. The parking lots were packed with locals sharing the same happiness. The beauty of sports is that it’s a universal language.

There is a sense of pride felt when you arrive to support your team and are greeted with thousands of others wearing the same East Carolina gear. Some choose a pick a specific player gear over others. Some even bring their note pad for autographs and camera in one hand and binoculars in the other. You will feel the butterflies and hear the guns going off as the player running in the end-zone near you to score a touchdown. You will hear mothers arguing with the referees for the bad calls they may make throughout the game, while standing the last minute cheering on your team on as they fight through the last minutes of the game, and of course when you tell the game to some of your friends you will refer to the team as “we.” You will share the sorrow when things don’t go your way, but that shared sorrow ease the pain. That’s what will keep you going, being on the same team.