This I Leave to Win

Michael - Briarcliff Manor, New York
Themes: work

When was the last time the Cubs won a World Series? To me, a championship will come very soon only if they “don’t quit, and don’t cheat, and don’t run home when trouble arrives,” as Shelley Long had once said. Persistency is the driving power in becoming successful, while consistency is the driving power in staying successful. These are the two spark plugs that keep an engine running.

I had always been a terrible religion student. Whenever my mom took me to Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (CCD) classes every Monday at 7:30 in the evening, I dreaded it and always put up a fuss. I barely passed each grade, with the help of my mom begging Deacon Jerome every year to still keep me in the program. I remember my seventh grade teacher telling me that I was never going to get confirmed and that I should just drop out right now. However, as I was approaching eighth grade, the year when we were all supposed to “graduate” and get confirmed, I realized how important it all was. After eight years of struggling through religious education, I wasn’t going to let my mom down or myself down – or the fifteen guests of friends and family we were going to have over to watch me get confirmed. I wasn’t going to let eight years of spending good money on religious education go to waste, so I made a commitment to myself that I was going to pass the eighth grade religious education class. It was the first year that I did my homework – every week before class on Monday. I was consistent and coherent with my workload and always kept through it, never missing an assignment. I was also persistent and tenacious, thoroughly paying attention in class, and instead of playing Playstation 2 with my friends on Sundays, I volunteered to help around with mass and be an altar boy. I thus went to church every Sunday that year, as opposed to in past years when I would either hide from my mother when she would try to get me ready for church, or simply leave church in the middle of mass to walk back home (we didn’t live that far from the church). When May came, I studied for the final exam every evening in my review book for about half an hour. And when we got our grades back for the final, not only did I pass and receive confirmation that June but I was third in the class with the highest grade.

Even though there is a slightly different meaning between persistency and consistency, one can’t have one without the other. Both take courage and believing in oneself, and they are the cornerstone to achieving success and keeping success, respectively. If one commits to being persistent and consistent, the end will always justify the means and he or she will have much to achieve throughout life.