All that Rock Music Brings

Dylan - Waterbury Center, Vermont

All that Rock Music Brings

From the face-melting solos to the harmonic measures of greatness, rock music has affected my life in the best way possible. I not only listen to rock music, but I play it on my bass guitar. So, because I experience the great amount of energy that goes into playing and listening to rock, I believe that rock and roll, no matter which sub-genre anyone could listen to, is passionate, uplifting, music.

I was six years old when I heard the first song I can remember. It was the Rolling Stones “Get off of my Cloud.” The lyrics were catchy and the rhythm guitar locked right in with the lyrics. But from then on, I didn’t just decide to listen to rock. It was introduced to me again when I was ten. My cousin and I were hanging out one day, and he decided to pop a famous Pink Floyd album “Dark Side of the Moon” into the boom box. I couldn’t describe what I heard. It was musical fusion mixed with passion and heavy guitars. My parents picked me up a copy of this album They told me they used to have a vinyl record version of “Dark Side of the Moon.” It became perfectly clear that this music had an audience behind it. Then I discovered other great artists like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Rage Against the Machine. My love and belief for this music skyrocketed. I completely forgot about everything else in life and I just listened.

When I was twelve years old, I realized that in order to experience the full effect of rock music, I had to learn to play it. I recently stopped playing the cello and the bass guitar was a perfect switch. It proved to be as I continued to notice how great rock is. I learned what it meant to play the music. It takes passion, musical knowledge and influence. As I continued to play bass, I was offered to play music with other people. A group of musicians found me and wondered if I wanted to play the bass part for “TNT” by AC/DC. There was no second guessing my bass playing. The excitement was shown to me after we finished the song. I couldn’t process what was happening. Everyone was cheering. They probably would have, whether we nailed or failed it. Later in life, I found myself in the opposite position. I was the fan and the death metal band were the gods, not me.

I focused most of my stories on myself. But my goal is to spread the passion that rock and roll music brings. Rock music provides unique sound and makes you feel in a unique mood when you experience it. Rock music can confuse, make you shout and sing, bring tears to your eyes, or boost your confidence like no other kind of music. That is why I believe in rock and all that it brings.